We all have something about our appearance that we wish we could change – maybe it’s that stomach pooch that appeared the second you turned 40, or maybe you’ve never really liked the shape of your nose. For others, it’s their ears. If you have never liked your ears, otoplasty may be the answer for you.
What is otoplasty?
“Otoplasty” is the medical term referring to surgery to modify the ears. It can include modifying the position, shape, or size of the ears, or the procedure may “pin” them back so they are closer to the head. It can help to correct asymmetrical or irregularly shaped ears, large ears, cupped or folded ears, or ears that have been damaged in an accident or other traumatic event.
There are many benefits to this procedure, besides getting the ears you’ve always wanted:
• It can be performed on children as young as 6 years old who are bothered or teased by how their ears look because the ears are nearly fully mature by then. However, it can also be performed on older patients.
• It can be performed in your doctor’s office under local anesthesia; children are given general anesthesia.
• It can be performed on one or both ears.
• You don’t have to worry about visible scars – they are hidden behind the ears.
• It is considered one of the safest surgeries there is.
• The procedure typically takes just over an hour.
• Because the procedure involves reshaping of cartilage, the results are permanent.
• It does not affect hearing.
• It can be combined with other procedures, such as earlobe surgery, a facelift, or blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery).
• Patients report a very low level of pain after otoplasty. You will be offered pain medication for the recovery.
• Your confidence will increase as you no longer have to be self-conscious about your ears. You’ll be able to wear your hair up or get that short haircut you’ve always wanted.
Do you wish you could change your ears? Well, you can! You might be surprised what a difference an otoplasty procedure can make. Contact the office of Phillip Dahan, MD, FACS, in Reno, NV, today for a consultation. Call 775-826-4477 for an appointment today!