Google has made life incredibly easy. With a few clicks, we can find inordinate amounts of information on just about anything, including cosmetic plastic surgery, where to get it for a good price, and what to expect from various different procedures. Just as easy as you can find information about procedures like breast augmentation and liposuction, you can be fooled into believing a myth. Let’s take a look at some of the most common.
Most Common Cosmetic Surgery Myths
- Cosmetic surgery is the same thing as plastic surgery. The two specialties are similar, but not the same. Cosmetic surgery has a singular objective of enhancing physical beauty. As such, the training and board-certification requirements focus on procedures such as liposuction, abdominoplasty, face and eyelid surgeries, and breast augmentation.
- Breast augmentation is a once-and-done process. There is a life-span of ten to fifteen years for the average breast implant before replacement may be necessary. Also, many women simply choose a follow-up to combat the natural sag that occurs with age, even with implants.
- Scarring is not likely from a plastic surgery procedure. Anytime the skin is cut, even with the meticulous nature of incisions, there is a risk of scarring. Skilled cosmetic surgeons place incisions in the most inconspicuous places as often as possible.
- Liposuction will reduce weight. The purpose of the liposuction procedure is to eliminate localized fatty deposits. The result may be a slimmer waistline or smoother thighs. Weight, however, is not guaranteed to change after liposuction, and this procedure is not a method of weight loss.
- Cost is the primary factor to consider before cosmetic surgery. No! No! No! We will be perfectly clear. It is better to save for cosmetic surgery with an experienced cosmetic surgeon who can show you evidence of personal cases than to agree to the permanent alteration of your body with a less-experienced physician offering a special deal.
Schedule a consultation
Dr. Dahan is a highly-trained plastic surgeon who has advanced training in cosmetic procedures. He is the only physician in our area to be double board-certified. Recognized as a Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Reno, his experience and compassion are noticed by patients as soon as they visit our office. Call (775) 826-4477 to schedule your consultation.