Hundreds of thousands of liposuction procedures are performed every year. Statistics have remained steady even after the development of various non-surgical body-contouring treatments. We could assume that this is because the efficacy and safety of surgical fat-reduction have remained consistently high over years of performance. If unwanted fat has been problematic for you, perhaps the idea of liposuction has crossed your mind. If liposuction has crossed your mind, perhaps you have fallen for one or more false ideas. Here, we point out a few details that could help you better understand this surgery.
All About Liposuction
- Liposuction is the fat reduction for various body types. The idea that one must be “overweight” to want surgical fat reduction is completely false. A large percentage of procedures are performed on what would be described as “skinny” people. In fact, cosmetic surgeons encourage liposuction patients to be near their ideal body weight before scheduling treatment.
- Liposuction results don’t show up on the scale. Reducing excess fat may accomplish goals like changing your pant size or improving your body proportions. To think that you will weigh noticeably less after this procedure, though, may set you up for disappointment.
- The surgical fat reduction may be performed in a variety of places, not just the midsection. Men who want better chest contours may turn to liposuction. Individuals who want a more toned appearance may undergo liposuction on the backs of the arms, or even under the chin. Skilled surgeons are well-versed in anatomy and the degree of contouring that is appropriate for all areas of the body.
- Liposuction may be maximized with other procedures. Many people recognize the value of the liposuction/tummy tuck combination. Fat reduction may also be done in combination with laser skin resurfacing, neck lift or facelift surgery, or other skin-tightening procedures.
- Long-term results take effort. Liposuction is not a solution in and of itself. You could think of it as a stepping stone that makes the path toward ideal body image a little easier. After this procedure, healthy eating habits and routine exercise are all you need to maintain a slimmer physique.